This year began with the Electives for 2 weeks and we gave the first edition for BIOMATERIALS with Kas Houthuijs, Karin Vlug (docent), Sandrine D’Haene and Anne Vlaanderen (digital lab).
Students were introduced in the first week to a wide range of biomaterials through experimentation and hands-on.
- The biomaterials created were exposed at WdKA during the “RESEARCH FESTIVAL MAKING (IN) THE UNFORESEEN” with the wall of biomaterials.
- The second week was entered on research to define a speculative application for a biomaterial.
- Kombucha leather made of cellulose
- An 3D object made of mycelium: a light, fireproof and biodegradable material
- Bio-coloring: Bacterial dyes can be an alternative to toxic textile dyes
- Bio-plastics alternative
- Fruit leather: orange skins into your second skin
- Crystals from sugar and alum
Exhibition 25-26th of January research festival “MAKING (IN) THE UNFORESEEN”
Our Biomaterials Wall was shown in a beautiful sample collection. It was for the Living Station an opportunity to showcase what the Living Lab is offering and researching.
We have been collaborating for the Elective with different workplaces: digital lab (3D printing, laser cutting), ceramic, wood and fabric station.